Learn about the 50 States of the United States of America – each lesson will cover a different state, facts, basic history, and vocabulary. Be prepared to ask some questions!
Texas – The Lone Star State
- What is something unique about Texas history?
- Is Texas larger than every European country?
- How many people live in Texas?
- Texas is Big! What are 5 of of Texas’ biggest accomplishments
- What other state could fit into Texas 220 times?
- Describe the terrain of Houston, and what they grow.
- Explain the significance behind “Remember the Alamo”
- What are the six flags of Texas? What did this later become?
- What is black gold? How much black gold comes out of the earth each day?+
Vocabulary to Learn
- Glitzy and Ritzy
- Texas is the only state to have been its own nation before becoming a state in the United state.
- Texas is larger than any European country.
- Texas has a population of over 28 million.
- Biggest state capitol, state fair, rose growing center, battle monument, urban bat colony, ranch. Top amount of farmland, sheep and cattle, rice cotton spinach, oil, natural gas, salt, magnesium sulfur, helium, asphalt wildflowers, reptiles
- Rhode Island,
- Fertile crescent of the gulf coast plain, with many rivers and complex irrigation systems. They grow grapefruit, pecans, and peanuts
- At the time, Mexico had ownership of Texas, but American Colonists wanted independence.The Alamo was a fort the American colonists were stuck in for 13 days after a siege from Mexican dictator Santa Anna. All the Americans died in the aftermath. Texas leader Sam Houston used “remember the Alamo” as a reason for rallying his troops and getting independence for Texas from Mexico. Texas was independent for 9 years.
- Spain, France, Mexico, Republic of Texas, the Confederacy, and the United States. Because of the history of the Six Flags over texas, a theme park was made called Six Flags
- Black gold is oil, and the name came from how valuable it was.the Spindletop gusher produced over 100,000 barrels of petroleum each day.